(Exam Paper) UPSC IAS Mains 2006: Sociology
1. Write short notes on any three of the following (Each note should not exceed 200 words):
(a) Intellectual background for the emergence of sociology.
(b) Concept of Ideal Type and its limitations.
(c) Nuclear family and industrial society.
(d) Vertical society mobility.
2. Explain Karl Marx's 'theory of social change'. What are the reactions of functionalists to his views ?
3. What according to Emile Durkheim is the nature of relationship between the individual and
society ? Explain this with the help of his analysis of division of labour in society.
4. What are the reactions of Robert Merton to the functionalism pioneered by social anthropologists ?
Indicate in limitations of his idea of latent functions.
5. Write short notes on any three of the following (Each note should not exceed 200 words):
(a) Caste-system as a principle of social stratification
(b) Structure of a social movement
(c) Religion and Science
(d) Human factors involved in directed social change
6. "Education is one of the basic activities for the continued existence and development of a society".
Elaborate this statement.
7. Explain the idea of social responsibility of science. Analyze
the social consequences of development of science and technology in the context of removal of
backwardness in developing societies.
8. State significance of social policy in social development. Under what conditions a social policy fails
to be effective in its performance?
1. Write short notes on any three of the following in not more than 200 words each
(a) Continuity and change in Indian society
(b) Backward classes movement
(c) Social consequences of privatisation
(d) Industrialisation & family change in India, with examples
2. Describe the major aspects of traditional Hindu social organization. How far are they relevant for
present day Indian society?
3. Discuss the social factors responsible for the emergence of Dalit consciousness in India. What have
been the social consequences of this phenomenon?
4. Is Indian peasant society a non-modern society? Evaluate with suitable examples in support of your
5. Write short notes on any three of the following in not more than 200 words each:
(a) Social factors related to declining sex-ratio
(b) Environmental pollution in urban areas
(c) Self Respect Movement
(d) Discrimination against women
6. Describe the indicators of secularism. In your opinion, is it being
practiced in letter and spirit in present day Indian society?
7. Discuss the salient features of the population policy of Government of India. What modifications
would you suggest to make it more effective?
8. Describe the social factors related with the problems of alcoholism and drug addiction. What
measures would you suggest to tackle these problems?