(Exam Paper) UPSC IAS Mains 2008: Geography
1. On the outline map of the world provided to you, mark the location of any
ten of the following, for which 1 (one) mark is given to each correct entry.
Write in your answer book the significant geographical relevance or strategic
importance of the locations, whether physical / commercial / economic /
ecological / environmental / cultural in not more than 40 words for that entry.
5 (five) marks are allotted for each write-up:
(a) Ozark Plateau
(c) Mato Grasso
(e) Brooks Range
(f) Dasht-e Kavir
(g) Cape Horn Current
(h) Burzil Pass
(i) Bass Strait
(j) Kjolen Range
2. Critically examine the concept of geomorphic cycle and discuss the views
of W. M. Davis and W. Penck. (60)
3. Discuss the mechanism and origin of Monsoon winds and explain the sole of
El Nino on Monsoon circulation. (60)
4. Describe the ideal conditions for Coral reef formation and discuss the
glacial control theory of coral reef formation. (60)
5. Write short notes on any three of the following in about 200 words each:
(a) Desertification as an environmental hazard
(b) Primate cities
(c) Seafloor spreading theory
(d) Behavioural Geography
6. Discuss the social and economic theories of population growth. (60)
7. Describe the laws of international boundaries and frontiers.
8. Discuss the views of von Thunen on agricultural location. (60)
1. Mark on the outline map of India supplied any ten of the following
entries. Write brief notes (not exceeding 40 words each) on the significant
aspects of the same ten entries.
(a) Butcher Island
(b) Gopalpur Beach
(e) Nam Dapha
(g) Mount Harrier
(h) Barail Ranges
2. Distinguish between the Himalayan and the peninsular drainage systems.
3. Discuss the bases of identifying agro-climatic zones and explain the
core-strategies for agricultural development. (60)
4. Explain the factors promoting the rapid growth and development of the
automobile industry in India, giving suitable examples. (60)
5. Answer any three of the following in about 200 words each :
(a) Suggest appropriate energy policy for minimising energy crisis in India.
(b) Describe and explain the spatial patterns of literacy in India.
(c) Assess the geopolitical significance of Indian ocean.
(d) Explain the concept of sustainable development and examine its relevance.
6. ‘Unplanned urban development has created numerous problems.’ Comment. (60)
7. Critically examine the bases of state reorganisation in India since
8. Discuss the problems and prospects of development of catchment and command