(Syllabus) MP PSC State Engineering Service Examination : Preliminary & Main Exam
Preliminary Examination Syllabus :
Section (A) General Introduction of Madhya Pradesh
General Introduction of Madhya Pradesh, area, topography and structure, physical and geographic areas and climate.
2. Natural Resources of Madhya Pradesh
Forest Wealth and Wild Life.
Agriculture and Live stock, Regional distribution of crops, planned development of Agriculture, Green Revolution, Development of Live stock Water Resources - Development of Irrigation and Irrigation projects.
3. Human Resources
Population, Population Density, Urban and Rural population, Literacy and Labours.
4. Energy Resources
Questions will attempt to assess the general awareness of condidates about the conventional and nonconventional sources of energy and their uses in human life.
Attempt will be made to assess the general awareness of candidates about the types and size of industries and their impact on state economy.
Questions will be related to environment and its protection, pollution, natural climates and their impact on quality of human life.
7. Planning and Evaluation
Attempt will be to assess the general awareness of candidates about different aspect of five year plans till date, various programmes of urban and rural development, economic planning and its evaluation and status of Madhya Pradesh in the context of Country.
8. Administrative Structure of Madhya Pradesh
Questions will be related to general knowledge of candidates about administrative units - Division, District, Tehsil and Development-Blocks; their relationship and administrative structure.
9. Rural and Urban Administrative Structure
Questions will be pertaining to the general knowledge of candidate about organization and administrative structure of Pachayati Raj, Municipality and Municipal corporation,
10. Games and Sports
Attempt will be made to assess the awareness of candidates related to organization, management and facilities for different games and sports. The questions will also be related to different State awards, and personalities and contribution of Government and non Government agencies.
11. Culture, Literature, Music, Dance, Arts and History of Madhya Pradesh
The questions will be related to nature, types their salient features and impact on human lifc.
(1) Ancient - Kalidas, Bharthari, Bhavbhuti, Vanabhatta.
(2) Medieval - Keshav, Padmakar, Bhushan.
(3) Modern - Pandit Makhanlal Chaturvedi, Subhadra Kumari Chauhan, Gajanan Madhav Muktibodh,Balkrishna Sharma "Navin", Bhavani Prasad Mishra, Harishankar Parsai, Sharad Joshi, Mulla Ramoozi, Shiv-Mangal Singh, Suman and Nanddulare Vajpai
(4) Folk Literature / Dialects of Madhya Pradesh. Isuri, Singaji..
3. Music & Dance Tradition
(1) Music Tradition - Tansen, Ustad Allauddin Khan, Ustad Hafiz Ali Khan, Pandit Krishna Rao, Shankar Pandit, Rajabhaiya Poonchwale, Ustad Amir Khan, Kumar Gandharva, Maharaj Chakradhar Singh Pandit Kartik Ram.
(2) Dance tradition - Major styles of folk music, major folk dances.
Qucstions of general nature will be related to characteristics of Rock painting, folk panting, modern painting school and important painters. It will also have questions related to major folk and other theatres.
5. Major Scheduled Tobes
It will assess the general awareness of candidates related to names, characteristics, habitats, major fairs and festivals and cultural structure of major scheduled tribes. It will also have questions related to different programmes of State Government for the upliftment of Scheduled Tribes.
6. Programmes of State Government in the field of Culture
The questions will attempt to assess general knowledge of the candidate related to literasy academics and institutions. The questions will also be related to different Music and Fine Arts Schools and Cultural festivals. There will be questions awards given by the state for the significant contribution in the filed of literature, music and fine arts.
7. Archaeological Heritage
The questions of general knowledge will be related to significance and characteristics of major historical, archaeological and tourist places,
8. Historical perspective of Madhya Pradesh
The questions will be related to creation of M.P. and important dynesties and rules of M.P., It will also have questions related to contribution of M.P. in freedom movement.
Thc syllabus for the examination General English will be as followsThe objective type question paper will carry maximum 25 marks each question of one mark.
- Applied grammar containing topics like parts of speech vocabulary, Active Passive, Direct and indirect speech, Transformation of sentence.
- Sentence completion questions (fill in the blanks) These will be of the nature of multiple choice questions,
- Questions on reading comprehension (Based on an unseen passage each).
MAIN EXAMINATION SYLLABUS
PAPER - I
1. Structural Analysis
Determinate and Indeterminate Structures, Degrees of Freedom. Static and Kinematic indeterminacy, Principle of Superposition, Virtual Work, Energy theorem, Deflection of Trusses, Redundant Frames. Analysis of Determinate and Indeterminate Arches, their influence lines. Rolling loads, influence lines for Determinate Beams and Pin-jointed Frames. Mullar Breslau's Principle and influence lines for Indeterminate Beams and Frames.
Slope Deflection, Moment Distribution and Kani's methods. Column Analagy, Energy Methods for analysis of indeterminate bearns and frames. approximate methods for analysis of Rigid Frames. Matrix Methods of analysis, Stiffness and Flexibility Matrices of Beams. Frames & Trusses, Elements of Plastic analysis.
2. Structral Design
Factors of Safety and Load Factors. Rivetted and Welded connections of Members, Design of Tension, Compression and flexural members, built-up beams and Plate Girder Slab and Guesseted Bases for Columns, Design of Roof Trusses. Purling and Coverings, Structural Steel tubes and their connections Industrial and MultiStoryed Buildings Water tank and supporting tower's design. Plastic Design of Continuous Beams & Frames.
Working Stress and Limit State methods for design of Rectangular, T and L Beams, Slabs and Columns.
Isolated and Combined footings, Raft Foundations.
Overhead, Resting on ground and Underground Water Tanks.
Design of Bunkers and Silos.
Methods and Systems of Prestressing, Anchorages. Losses in Prestress, Design of Prestressed Concrete Beams.
3 Construction Planning and Management
Detailed estimates, specifications, analysis and rates of various works in civil engineering.
Construction activity , work break down structures , scheduling through CPM and PERT analysis , cost optimization through network construction, Float times, Bar charts , Project control and super- vision, cost reduction measures, Cost analysis and resource allocation ,
Fundamentals of engineering economics , methods of appraisal , present work, annual costs , benefit cost analysis, Types of tenders and contract conditions.
4. Environmenal Engineering
- Water Demand - Per capita Demand, Population Estimation methods
- Water Quality Criteria for various uses viz. Domestic & Non-Domestic, Irrigation effects & significance of important parameters and permissible concentration as per relevant standards.
- Transmission of Water- relative merits & demerits of various pipes viz C.I. G.I. Mild Steel.
- A.C, Pressure Pipes. Corrosion of Pipes-types & Methods of control System of distribution & layouts of distribution
- Unit Processes & Operations for Water Treatment viz, Objectives and Design criteria of Sedimentation, Coagulation, Flocculation, Chemical Sedimentation. Filtration ( slow sand & rapid sand), Disinfection, softening
- Quantity & Characterization of Domestic Sewage-significance of B.O.D., C.O.D., D.O. ,Solids. T.O.C. , N.O.D.
- Effluent Standards, River Standards,
- Sewage System-Design of Sewer & Stormn Sewer, Sewage Pumps.
- Design of Screens, Grit Chamber.
- Design of Primary Sedimentation tank.
- Design of Biological Treatment Units viz Trickling filters, Activated Sludge Treatment and Secondary Sedimentation tank.
- Waste Stabilization Ponds- Aerobic, Anaerobic & Facultative Ponds, design criteria and principles.Sludge Treatment- Digestion & Sludge Disposal.
- Septic Tanks-design criteria & working
- Self Purification of Streamıs- oxygen sag curve.
- Types of Pollution-Sources & effects of various pollution viz., Water, Air, Land & Noise, Relevant standards.
- Rural Sanitation, Solid Waste- collection & disposal.
PAPER - II
1. Water Resources Engineering
Water Resources in the Globe, Available Fresh Water. Need for Optimum use of Available water, Schemes for Drinking, Irrigation, Hydro Power, Multipurpose Schemes.
Irrigation - Necessity, Scope, Benefits & Effects.
Methods & Systems of Irrigation, their efficiencies. Water Distribuion & Scheduling techniques. Crop Water Requirements, Evapotranspiration, Consumptive Use, Duty, Delta, Base Period their relation, Crop Rotation, Quality of Irrigation Water.
Hydrology - Hydrological Cycie, Precipitation - Types, Measurement, Raingauge Network, Analysis of Precipitation Data, Dependability Analysis, Unit Hydrograph, Summation & Synthetic Hydrographs, Design Flood by UH & Frequency Studies.
Ground Water - Class & Availability of Soil Moisture. Aquifers- Confined & Unconfined. Open & Tube Wells, Radial Flow in Wells, Depuit's Theory. Darey's Law, Seepage Analysis using Flow Nets. Yield of Wells, detennination.
Storage Scheme - Reservoir Planning, Capacity, Yield, Life. Gravity & Earthen Dams. Forces Acing, Modes of Failure, Stability Criteria, Design. Galleries. Shafts. Joints in Gravity Dams. Foundation Treatment.
Spillways, Types, Design of Ogee & Syphon Spillways. Energy Dissipating Devices, Design of Stilling Basins.
Diversion Schemes - Structures on Pervious Formations, Bligh's & Khosla's Theory, Hydraulic Jump, Design of Vertical Drop Weir & Barrage.
Distribution System - Canals - Classification, Layout, Alignment, Capacity, Design of Canals. Silt Theories, Canal Regulation Structures. Design of Head & Cross Regulators, Canal Falls, Cross Drainage Works, and Outlets, Escapes.
Water Logging - Causes, Effccts, Remedial Measures, Losses in Canals, Canal Lining. Types. Advantages, Conjunctive use of Şurface & Ground Water,
River Training - Objective & Methods, Concepts of Hydro Power Projects.
2. Transportation Engineering
Railways - Permanent Way, Sleepers, Rail Fastenings, Ballast, Points and Crossings, different types of Turn Outs.Stations and Yards, Turn Tables, Signals and Interlocking, Level Crossing.Maintenance of Track, Super-levation, Creep of Rails, Ruling Gradients, Track Resistance. Tractive Efforts, Curve Resistance.
Highways & Airports - Principles of Highway Planning, Highway Alignments.Geometrical design, Cross-section. Camber, Super-elevation. Horizontal and Vertical curves. Classification of Roads.Design and Construction of Flexible and Rigid pavements for Highway and Airfields.
Evaluation of Pavement Failure and Strengthening, Drainage of Roads.
Traffic Engineering : Traffic Surveys, Highway Capacity, Intersections, Rotary Design Elements, Signs, Signals and Markings.
3. Geotechnical Engineering
- Index Properties of Soil, Classification of Soils. Clay Minerals.
- Capillary Water, Permeability, Factors Affecting Permeability, Lab and field methods. Permeability of stratified soil deposits.
- Seepage Pressure, Quick Sand Condition, Flow Net, its properties & uses.
- Stess distributioin in soils, Boussinesq's theory. Newmark's Chart
- Consolidation and Settlement : Terzaghi's theory, Consolidation test. Settlement computiation. Time Settlement cureve. Compaction tests & their significance, factors affecting compaction. Shear Strength Parameters, Shear Tests, Mohr Coulomb's failure theory, Skempton's Pore Pressure coefficients.
- Earth Pressure at rest, Active and Passive Pressures, Rankine's and Coulomb's theory.
- Bearing capacity, Terzaghi's analysis, factors affecting Bearing Capacity, Plate Load Test. Stability of Slopes, Sweedish Slip Circle method and Bishop's simplified method. Stability Number.
- Sub-surface exploration. Methods, sampling, SPT, DCPT and Static Cone Penetration Test, Electrical Resistivity and Seismic method.
- Essential features of Foundation, types, design criteria, Rafts.
- Pile Foundation, Types of Pilcs, Pile Capacity, Pile Load Test. Group Action. Static/Dynamic formulae..
- Elements of Machine Foundation, Natural frequency, Amplification and Resonance. Ground Improvement Techniques, Sand Drains, Soil Stabilization, Gcotextiles.
MECHANICAL ENGINEERING | CODE NO. 02)
PAPER - I
Note : Use of Design Data Book is permitted.
1. Engineering Mechanics and Mechanics of Solids
Free body Diagram and Equilibrium; Trusses and Frames; Stress and Strains in Two Dimension; Mohr's Construction; Beams - Bending Moment and Shear Force Diagram; Bending and Shear Stress Distribution; Torsion of Shafts; Thin and Thick Walled Pressure Vessels; Euler's Theory of Column, Leaf and Helical springs.
2. Theory of Machines
Displacement, Velocity and Acceleration of Plane Mechanisms (Maximum 6 Links), Kliens' Construction; Law of Gearing Gear Tooth Profile, Epicyclic Gear Trains; Motion Analysis of Cam and Followers; Balancing of Rotating Masses, Reciprocating Masses - Hammer Blow, Tractive Effort and Swaying Couple; Power Transmission by Belt Drive; Analysis of Simple Band, Block, Band and Block Brakes; Dynamometers; Free Vibrating of Single Degree of Freedom Systems; Whirling of Shafts; Gyroscopic Stability of Shaft, Ship and Aeropiane.
3. Design of Machine Elements
Design Concepts; Theories of Failure; Design for Static and Dynamic Loading, Design of Bolted, Rivetted and Welded Joints; Design of Shaft and Coupling.
4. Production Engineering
Merchant's Force Analysis, Tool Life and Tool Wear; Cutting fluids, Machinability and Machining Economics; Principles of Non-Traditional Machining Processes - EDM, ECM, USM & Laser; Principles of Design of Jigs and Fixtures; Limits, Fits and Tolerances; Comparators Gauge Design; Measurement of Surface Roughness; Interferometry; Acceptance Test of Machine Tools.
5. Production Management
Production Planning and Control; Forecasting Models; Aggregate Production Planning Material Requirement Planning: Inventory Control - ABC Analysis, EOQ Model; Linear Programming - Simplex Method, Transportation & Assignment Model; Simple Queuing Models; PERT & CPM; Quality Control in Manufacturing, Control Charts for Variables & Attributes.
MECHANICAL ENGINEERING ( CODE NO. 02)
PAPER - II
Note : Use of Steam Table and Psychometric Chart are permitted.
Steady Flow Energy Equation; Entropy and Irreversibility; Availability and Available Energy; Detailed Analysis of Thermodynamic Cycles and their Limitations.
2. Fluid Mechanics and Machines
Continuity, Momentum and Energy Equations; Flow net; Turbulent flow through Pipes; Velocity Distribution in Laminar and Turbulent Flow; Dimensional Analysis; Boundary Layer on a Flat Plate; Adiabatic and Isontropic Flow of Compressible Fluids; Classification of Hydraulic Turbines and Pumps; Specific Speed; Impulse and Reaction Turbines; Velocity Diagrams.
3. Heat Transfer, Refrigeration and Air Conditioning
Critical Thickness of Insulation; Conduction through Walls and Pipes; Heat Transfer from Fins; Dimensionless Numbers; Free and Forced Convection; Heat Exchange by Radiation betwcon black and Gray Surfaces; Electrical Analogy; Heat Exchanger Classification; Effectiveness; LMTD and NTU Methods; Fouling Factor,Vapour Compression and Vapour Absorption Systems and their Cycle Analysis; Nomenclature, Properties and Characteristics of Important Refrigerants; Ozone Friendly Refrigerants; Human Comfort and ASHRAE Comfort Charts; Estimation of Air-Conditioning Loads.
4. Energy Conversion Systems
Theories of Combustion in Compression Ignition and Spark Ignition Engines; Abnormal Combustion; Carburetion and Fuel Injection; Emissions from Engine and their Control Modern Trends in IC Engines; Classification of Steam Turbines, Specific Specd, Velocity Triangles; Open and Closed Cycle Gas Turbine Plants; Nuclear Power Plants; Renewable Energy Sources,
5. Computer Aided Engineering
Introduction to CAD, 2D and 3D Drawing Concepts; Computer Aided Manufacturing – NC and CNC Machines, Methods of Part Programming; Elements of Robotics and Automated Material Handling System; FMS and Expert System.