Public Administration Mains 2017 :
Solved Paper Question Paper-2 (Question-7)
Q7(a) “Disaster preparedness and management has become
an important component of district administration in India.” Discuss with
suitable illustrations (20) (Significant issues in Indian Administration)
ANSWER : District administration is most important parts of the
Indian administrative system for disaster management. It was hierarchical
sub-system of the state administration performing the specific tasks assigned to
it and was developed to bring the totality of government closer to the people.
(1) At the district level, the District Magistrate is the chief coordinator,
focal point for coordinating all activities relating to prevention, mitigation
and preparedness apart from his existing responsibilities pertaining to response
(2) The District Coordination and Relief Committee is being
reconstituted/re-designated into Disaster Management Committees with officers
from relevant departments being added as members.
(3) The district heads and departments engaged in development added to the
DCRC so that mitigation and prevention is mainstreamed into the district plan.
(4) District Disaster Management Committees have already been constituted in
several districts and are in the process of being constituted in the remaining
multi-hazard prone districts.
b) In view of the contemporary internal scenario
should “law and order” be made a part of the Concurrent List of the Constitution
of India? Justify your opinion (20) (Law and Order Administration)
ANSWER : The role of both Union and States are equally important
as far as issue of “law and order” has been concerned so placing “law and order”
as a part of the Concurrent List of the Constitution of India is wonderful idea
1. 'Police' and 'Public Order' are State subjects under the Seventh Schedule
to the Constitution of India and it is the duty of the State Governments to
prevent, detect, register the criminals. Central Government supplements the
efforts by providing them financial assistance for modernization, training and
2. Intelligence inputs are regularly shared by the Central Security and
Intelligence Agencies with the State Law Enforcement Agencies to prevent crime
and law and order related incidents.
3. The National Crime Records Bureau under the Ministry of Home Affairs, is
engaged in the process of crime statistics with a view to help the States to
evolve appropriate strategies for prevention and control of crime.
4. NCRB has established computerized systems at every District Crime Records
Bureau (DCRB) and State Crime Records Bureau (SCRB), across the country, to
maintains a National - level Database of Crimes.
c)”The image of Indian Police can be improved if its
structure and orientations are transformed radically.” Do you agree? Elaborate
(10) (Law and Order Administration)
ANSWER: ONLY FOR PAID MEMBERS