(The Gist of Kurukshetra) Steps for Fertilizer Availability
Round the Year
Steps for Fertilizer Availability Round the Year
Fertilizers are an important input for agriculture and have played a major
role in increasing farm productivity since Green Revolution. But Indian farmers
have often faced the difficulties due to shortage of fertilizers in past. So,
the Government, giving high priority to farmers’ welfare, has taken a number of
initiatives to ensure supply of fertilizers round the year. Some of these steps
- Urea Pricing Policy, 2015: New Urea Policy 2015 was notified on
25t h May, 2015 to maximize indigenous urea production; to promote energy
efficiency in the urea units; and to rationalize the subsidy burden on the
- Neem coating of Urea: 100 per cent of Neem coating achieved.
- Introduction of 45 kg. urea bags replacing the existing 50kg. bags
- Reduction of the rates of P&K fertilizers: The Government had
encouraged the Fertilizer companies to reduce the rates of P&K fertilizers
which resulted in reduction in the MRP of DAP, MOP and Complex fertilizers.
- Removal of the minimum annual production: It has been decided to
do away with the provision of mandatory 50 per cent capacity utilization or
minimum production of 40000 MT for SSP units to be eligible for subsidy.
- Revival of Sindri & Gorakhpur units of FCIL and Barauni unit of HFCL.
- Model fertilizer retail shop: In the Budget of 2016-17,
announcement was made for opening up of 2000 Model Fertilizers Retail Shop
over a period of three years. It will provide mandatory services like
selling of quality fertilizers at genuine rates, soil testing, seed testing,
promotion of balanced use of nutrients etc.
- Policy on promotion of city compost: Policy on promotion of city
compost has been notified by the Department of Fertilizers on 10.2.2016
wherein Market Development Assistance (MDA) of Rs. 1500/ MT has been
provided for scaling up production and consumption of city Compost.
Manufacturing companies are allowed to undertake direct sale of city compost
- Pilot projects are underway for Direct Benefit Transfer scheme in
fertilizer subsidy scheme.
For Study Materials Call Us at +91 8800734161 (MON-SAT 11AM-7PM)