(THE GIST OF PIB) India has the potential to become Global Green Hydrogen Hub in near future
India has the potential to become Global Green Hydrogen Hub in near future
In the backdrop of ‘International Climate Summit (ICS) 2021: powering India’s Hydrogen Eco system’ organised by Invest India and Environment Committee of PHD Chamber of Commerce and Industry (PHDCCI), the geographic advantage and potential of India in green hydrogen was highlighted.
- India can have an aspirational goal of ‘Hydrogen 212’ where green hydrogen generation cost is of less than $2 per kg.
- Green Hydrogen is produced by electrolysis of water using an electric current which is produced by a renewable source (e.g., Solar PV or a wind turbine).
- Hydrogen is one of the cleanest fuels, which on being burnt in air produces only water as a by-product and no carbon-based emissions are released.
- Possible applications include transportation, stationary power like backup power units and portable applications like consumer electronics, recreational devices, etc.
Steps taken in India:
- National Hydrogen energy roadmap.
- In 2020, Delhi became the first city in India to operate buses with hydrogen-enriched CNG etc.
- Ministry of New and Renewable energy to launch a Hydrogen fuel cell-based bus project in Leh.
- National Hydrology portal.