(The Gist of PIB) Karbi Agreement
(THE GIST OF PIB) Karbi Agreement
- In the presence of Union Home Minister Amit Shah, a historic Karbi Anglong Agreement to end the decades old crisis ensuring Assam’s territorial integrity was signed in New Delhi.
Salient features of the Agreement:
- This Memorandum of Settlement will ensure greater devolution of autonomy to the Karbi Anglong Autonomous Council (KAAC), protection of identity, language, culture, etc. of Karbi people and focussed development of the Council area, without affecting the territorial and administrative integrity of Assam.
- The Karbi armed groups have agreed to abjure violence and join the peaceful democratic process as established by law of the land. The Agreement also provides for rehabilitation of cadres of the armed groups.
- The Government of Assam shall set up a Karbi Welfare Council for focussed development of Karbi people living outside KAAC area.
- The Consolidated Fund of the State will be augmented to supplement the resources of KAAC.
- Overall, the present settlement proposes to give more legislative, executive, administrative and financial powers to KAAC.