(THE GIST OF PIB) Prime Minister visit to the Vatican City
(GIST OF SCIENCE REPORTER) Prime Minister visit to the Vatican City
Prime Minister visit to the Vatican City
- His Holiness Pope Francis received Prime Minister Shri Narendra Modi in a private audience at the Apostolic Palace in the Vatican on Saturday, 30 October 2021.
- This was the first meeting between an Indian Prime Minister and the Pope in more than two decades.
- In June 2000, Late Prime Minister Shri Atal Bihari Vajpayee had last visited the Vatican and met the then Pope, His Holiness John Paul II.
- India and The Holy See have friendly relations dating back to the establishment of diplomatic relations in 1948.
- India is home to the second-largest Catholic population in Asia.
- Prime Minister extended an invitation to His Holiness Pope Francis to visit India at an early date, which was accepted with pleasure.
- Vatican City, officially the Vatican City State is a landlocked and independent city state and enclave located within Rome, Italy.
- The Vatican City State, also known simply as the Vatican, became independent from Italy with the Lateran Treaty (1929).
- it is a distinct territory under “full ownership, exclusive dominion, and sovereign authority and jurisdiction” of the Holy See, itself a sovereign entity of international law, which maintains the city state’s temporal, diplomatic, and spiritual independence.
- With an area of 49 hectares and a population of about 825, it is the smallest state in the world by both area and population.
CLICK HERE TO DOWNLOAD FULL PDF
CLICK HERE TO DOWNLOAD UPSC E-BOOKS
Study Material for UPSC General Studies Pre Cum Mains
Get The Gist 1 Year Subscription Online
Click Here to Download More Free Sample Material
<<Go Back To Main Page
Courtesy: Science Reporter