(The Gist of PIB) States Startup Ranking 2019
(THE GIST OF PIB) States Startup Ranking 2019
States Startup Ranking 2019
- Karnataka and Kerala have emerged as the top performers, while Gujarat was ranked as the best performer in States' Startup Ranking 2019, as per the results announced by Department for Promotion of Industry and Internal Trade (DPIIT).
- Karnataka was recognised for its futuristic policies to support new and disruptive technologies, reviewing the challenges faced by startups working in emerging technologies, and holding the Elevate programme to actively support and fund new startups.
- The objective is to foster competitiveness and propel States and UTs to work towards uplifting startup ecosystem.
- It will encourage mutual learning among all states and will provide support in policy formulation and implementation.
- India is 3rd largest startup ecosystem in world. More than 36,000 start-ups recognised under Startup India initiative. 29 States/UTs have a state startup policy.
- Ranking Framework has 7 broad reform area, consisting of 30 action points, including Institutional Support, Easing Compliances, Incubation support, Seed Funding Support etc.
- States and UTs have been divided into Category X and Category Y.
- A total of 22 States and 3 UTs participated in the exercise.
- In each category they are ranked under 5 heads.
- To promote Aatmanirbar Bharat, government recommended start-ups to focus on reimagining products through innovation and disruptive technologies; redesign and re-engineer processes that result in reforming regulatory and age-old practices; work on people-centric ideas.
- Recent Government measures to boost start-ups: Startup India scheme, ASPIRE Scheme, Fund of Funds for Startups etc.