(The Gist of PIB) Union Minister of State for Shipping (I/C) launched ‘SAROD-Ports’
(THE GIST OF PIB) Union Minister of State for Shipping (I/C) launched ‘SAROD-Ports’
Union Minister of State for Shipping (I/C) launched ‘SAROD-Ports’
- Union Minister for Shipping launched ‘SAROD-Ports’ (Society for Affordable Redressal of Disputes - Ports) through virtual ceremony in New Delhi.
- SAROD-Ports is established under Societies Registration Act, 1860 with the following objectives:
- Affordable and timely resolution of disputes in fair manner,
- Enrichment of Dispute Resolution Mechanism with the panel of technical experts as arbitrators.
- SAROD-Ports consists members from Indian Ports Association (IPA) and Indian Private Ports and Terminals Association (IPTTA).
- SAROD-Ports will advise and assist in settlement of disputes through arbitrations in the maritime sector, including ports and shipping sector in Major Port Trusts, Non-major Ports, including private ports, jetties, terminals and harbours.
- ‘SAROD-Ports’ is similar to provision available in Highway Sector in the form of SAROD-Roads constituted by NHAI.
- In January,2018, the Union Cabinet approved amendments in the Model Concession Agreement (MCA) which envisaged constitution of SAROD-PORTS as dispute resolution mechanism for PPP Projects in the Major Ports.