(GIST OF YOJANA) Jal Shakti Abhiyan – Urban [DECEMBER-2019]
(GIST OF YOJANA) Jal Shakti Abhiyan – Urban
Jal Shakti Abhiyan – Urban
- In order to address the national issue of water scarcity, the Ministry of Jal Shakti (MoJS), Government of India has undertaken Jal Shakti Abhiyan (JSA) from 1 July, 2019, driving a campaign on water conservation, restoration, recharge, and reuse of wastewater.
- MoHUA has participated actively in the JSA along with States/UTs/ULBs to make water conservation measures a Jan Andolan, through extensive Information, Education and Communication (IEC) activities across the country in 754 water-stressed cities.
- Rainwater Harvesting (RYVH): ULBs have taken measures for establishing Rainwater Harvesting Cell, construction and installation of RWH structures to recharge ground water sources and to store water.
- Reuse of treated wastewater: ULBs have undertaken construction of dual piping structure in public buildings and reuse of secondary treated water for horticulture, car washing, fire hydrants, etc.
- Rejuvenation of water bodies: Multiple interventions have been initiated by ULBs to clean and rejuvenate defunct wells and water bodies.
- Plantation: ULBs have taken up the mantle to mobilise the local community members to conduct plantation drives across the cities.