GS Mains Model Question & Answer : What are the
objectives and mandates of WTO? Challenges lie for India in negotiation? Comment
Q. What are the objectives and mandates of WTO?
Challenges lie for India in negotiation? Comment
What are the objectives and mandates of WTO? Challenges lie for India in
The World Trade Organization — the WTO — is the international organization whose
primary purpose is to open trade for the benefit of all.
The WTO provides a forum for negotiating agreements aimed at reducing obstacles
to international trade and ensuring a level playing field for all, thus
contributing to economic growth and development. The WTO also provides a legal
and institutional framework for the implementation and monitoring of these
agreements, as well as for settling disputes arising from their interpretation
More specifically, the WTO's main activities are:
- negotiating the reduction or elimination of obstacles to trade (import
tariffs, other barriers to trade) and agreeing on rules governing the conduct of
international trade (e.g. antidumping, subsidies, product standards, etc.)
- administering and monitoring the application of the WTO's agreed rules for
trade in goods, trade in services, and trade-related intellectual property
- monitoring and reviewing the trade policies of our members, as well as
ensuring transparency of regional and bilateral trade agreements
- settling disputes among our members regarding the interpretation and
application of the agreements
- building capacity of developing country government officials in international
- assisting the process of accession of some 30 countries who are not yet
members of the organization
- conducting economic research and collecting and disseminating trade data in
support of the WTO's other main activities
- explaining to and educating the public about the WTO, its mission and its
Challenges for India:
1) Permanent solution on Public stockholding for food security purposes.
2) Finality on the agricultural special safeguard mechanism.
The SSM is to allow developing nation to temporarily hike tariffs to counter
sudden import surgrs on price falls.