GS Mains Model Question & Answer: What is the economic significance of extraction of coal in
India without importing it and its possible environmental consequences?Comment
Q. What is the economic significance of extraction of
coal in India without importing it and its possible environmental consequences?. Comment.
India’s objective to increase the growth outlook and provide electricity to 300
million people will be possible by the maximum utilization of its own resources
and coal is one of them.
- Reduce the import bill which is caused due to Purchasing from Indonesia and
- Exploration done in India’s reserve which is fifth largest reserve in coal in
the world to maximum potential.
- Providing base for the manufacturing industry and large capital industry like
iron and steel.
- Create employment thus reducing burden on overloaded agricultural sector.
Hurdles in achieving this:
- Proper incentives by the Govt. to private investors
- Lack of technology and R&D facility.
- Cumbersome beauracratic process.
- Lack of proper assessment which cause environmental problems.
Land degradation Pollution
(you can write one or two lines in land degradation and pollution as if you are
giving points than you have to justify it .)