GS Mains Model Question & Answer :What should be the code of ethics if there would be any for the civil
Q. What should be the code of ethics if there would be any for the civil
What should be the code of ethics if there would be any for the civil
The objective of the Code was to prescribe standards of integrity and conduct
that are to apply to public services. The salient features of the code are as
1. The public services should assist the government in formulating and
implementing policies and administering public services in the most effective
2. Employees in public services should uphold the rule of law and respect for
human rights, and act solely in public interest. They must maintain the highest
standards of probity and integrity.
3. They should conduct themselves in such manner that the public feels that the
decisions taken or recommendations made by them are objective and transparent
and are not calculated to promote improper gains for the political party in
power, for themselves, or for any third party.
4. They should not seek to frustrate or undermine the policies, decisions and
action taken in public interest by Government by declining or abstaining from
5. Where an employee in public service has reasonable grounds to believe that he
or she is being required by superior authority to act in a manner which is
illegal or against prescribed rules and regulations, he should decline to
implement the instructions. He will have right to bring the fact to the notice
of superior authority.
6. Conflict of Interest : Employees in public service should refrain from
decisions; i) which are calculated to benefit any particular person or party at
the expense of the public interest; ii) shall disclose any clash of interest
when there is conflict between public interest and private interest.
7. They should maintain their independence and dignity and impartiality by not
approaching politicians and outsiders in respect of service matters or private
benefits, and exercise peer pressure to dissuade those within their own cadre
who do so and to set in motion disciplinary proceedings against such persons.
8. Accountability to Citizens : i) Employees in public services should be
accessible to the people and practice accountability to them in terms of quality
of service, timeliness, courtesy, people orientation, and readiness to encourage
participation and form partnership with citizen groups for responsive government
ii) they should be consistent, equitable and honest in their treatment of the
members of the public, iii) they should accept obligation to recognize and
enforce citizen’s right for speedy redressal of their grievance.
9. They should have concern for public assets and funds, avoid wastage and
extravagance and ensure effective and efficient use of public money within their
10. Non- abuse of official position : Employees in public services have a
responsibility to take decisions on merits, as they are in a position of trust,
they must not use their official position to influence any person to enter into
financial or other arrangements with them or any one else.