Getting Started for Public Administration Mains
Step By Step Guidance on How To Read
and Write For Public Administration Mains Examination
Online Coaching for IAS Mains - Public Administration (Registration Open)
The secret to success in Public Administration lies in
writing practice and
focused reading. Without this, it is not possible to score fair marks in this
optional and writing practice and focused reading under an expert guidance
contribute in securing high marks. It is the strategy that makes the difference
between 260 marks and 360 marks.
syllabus of public administration is just based on few basic
concepts and these move as an undercurrent to the subject. One has to decipher
them and try to establish their linkages with all the topics .
There are certain ways to crack the questions
1. Recognise the context of question- It may be…..
Parliamentary vs Presidential Government
Fact vs Value Debate
Informal vs Formal Organisation etc.
2. Recognise the Statement Giver- This way you can….
….Guardians of traditions…… - Paul Pigors
….moral act and moral agent…. – Ordway Tead
……various kinds of theories have grown around…. – Peter Self
….discipline is in jeopardy ,order disturbed and stability threatened….
…..quasi-federal…. – K C Wheare
For Any Query Related to Public Administration or This Programme call
co-ordinator - +91
7827687693 (10 AM to 7 PM)
3. Recognise the key words of question-
Question-“In a hierarchy every employee tends to
rise his level of incompetence.” Comment.
It is Peter Principal (Statement Giver) and the context of the question is
Training (level of incompetence requires an employee to be trained) and key
words are hierarchy, employee, level of incompetence. Make an interlinkages of
all these three words and start writing your answer.
- Explain the meaning of all keywords of your question.
- Explain correlation of keyword with the understanding of entire sentence.
4. Analyse your answer- In the light of following concepts
- (Administrative) Structure
- (Administrative) Process
- (Administrative) Behaviour
- (Administrative or Others) Ecological Frameworks
5. Go for Linkages –
Meaning of ‘Linkages’ in Public Administration
As we all know Public Administration is most interdisciplinary among all
social sciences as a result it is highly dynamic and analytical.
Linkages are very important in the context of Public Administration. Since
Public Administration is highly analytical, ‘Linkages’ mean thrust should be on
applying the related concepts of Paper I in Paper I and II and ; related
concepts of Paper II in Paper II and I. It is also known as ‘Concept of
In comments section you have required to form linkages from three to four
topics , in 30 marks question five to six topics and in 60 marks question eight
to nine topics. This one is key for getting high marks in Public Administration.
Question-“In a hierarchy every employee tends to
rise his level of incompetence.” Comment.(20 Marks)
- Training and Employee
- Training and Hierarchy
- Training and level of incompetence
- Training and Promotion
Question-Elaborate the World Bank’s Concept of Good
- Good Governance and Kautilya
- Good Governance and Parliamentary Democracy
- Good Governance and Human Rights
- Good Governance and E-Governance
- Good Governance and Civil Society
- Good Governance and Public Service
Question-Democracy and good governance are
contradictions in terms. Discuss with examples.(60 Marks)
- Good Governance and Misgovernance
- Good Governance and Rule of Law
- Good Governance and Responsible Democracy
- Good Governance and good government of society
- Good Governance and Sustainable Environment
- Good Governance and Transparency
- Good Governance and Decentralization
- Good Governance and Education for All
The search for good governance is an endless one. In today’s complex world ,
government alone is not capable of coping with myriad problems. Democracy is
most popular form of the government although it was never method of governance
which was ever regarded as Good.
7. Use Diagram in your answer- It should be explained as per the
requirements of the question.
- Practice a lot of tests from anywhere you get.
- Identify the weak areas and focus accordingly.
- Make a note of the mistakes that you make in the tests or interactive
session and try to rectify them.
- The examiner only expects you to write a simple logical answer with
- Do not give long introduction this may lead to loss of focus and
attraction of the examiner.The first sentence should have direct bearing of
the question or statement. This is the sentence which contains context and
key words both with statement-giver.
- Before suggesting any cure take administrative feasibility test of your
- Write answers like brilliant graduate and not like a confused
- Always complete your answer with conclusion howsoever small or big you
may write. Even if you have little time conclude smartly.